Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Of dictionaries...and prolific hugs

You know those times when you say a certain word in a sentence that you believe is grammatically correct, and then the person you are talking to gives you a really odd look?  Then, you start thinking, "Wait, was that the right word?"  "What did I just say?"  "What does she think I mean?"  With these questions in mind, your face becomes a mask of quizzical-ness as you evaluate what it was that you just said. 
Now, I know that I am not the only one that has experiences like this!  (I think :)

My story has to do with the word "prolific".  I used it in the context of a friend of mine giving another friend a hug.  "You hugged her prolifically."  To this comment, we both started laughing.  Then the questions ensued. 
"What?" 
According to the dictionary, prolific has several different definitions, including: producing offspring, young, fruit, etc., abundantly; highly fruitful: a prolific pear tree. (2) producing in large quantities or with great frequency; highly productive: a prolific writer. (3.) profusely productive or fruitful (often followed by in or of ): a bequest prolific of litigations. (4.) characterized by abundant production: a prolific year for tomatoes.

Therefore, in the sentence that I used, giving hugs prolifically just means that they are given in abundance.    But does this really work? 

With this thought in mind, I realized how many "creative" words I think I know and yet may not.  There is definitely something to be said of expanding your vocabulary! 

Word of the Day: appertain; to belong as a part, right, possession, or attribute. 
Synonyms: apply, be characteristic of, be part of, be pertinent, be proper, be relevant, bear, have to do with, pertain, refer, relate, touch upon, vest

Try to use this word today.  It appertains to the development of your vocabulary! 
And tell me what you think of prolific hugs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment