Sunday, January 11, 2015

Project 52: new beginnings

I'm quite convinced that New Years resolutions are cheesy and old fashioned.  Maybe it's because everyone asks about them or they tend to revolve around silly habits.  Or maybe it's because a resolution is easily broken, which is why the gym is always packed for about a month after New Years.  I've come to realize, however, that the beginning of a year is a wonderful time for new ideas, goals, and projects.  Hence, Project 52 and beginning right now.

One of my goals for 2015 (see, it's a goal, not a resolution!) is to form better habits for writing.  I really enjoy the practice, but have not been good about taking the time to chronicle thoughts here.  Therefore, each week this year, I will be taking a topic and writing about it.  I don't know yet what some of the topics will be or what form each post will take--that's the exciting part--and I'll leave that till later.

So, new beginnings.

There's something exciting about the beginning.  We read books and soak in the first few chapters to grasp the beginning of the story.  We like being the first one to dig our knife into the freshly opened peanut butter jar.  We rejoice to see new leaves sprouting on the trees after a long winter.  These things have a beginning.

When I look at a year, I usually picture a calendar, but in the shape of a very large mountain.  We start at the top in January, reach a lovely middle valley by July, then the bottom with much to reflect on in December.  Starting out at the top of the year brings challenges with anticipation.  This year, no doubt, comes with the same feelings.

As a believer, I  have more reason to hope at the beginning of the year and all through.  Hope--what a lovely word!  My hope is found in Christ and what He has done for me on the cross.  The gospel gives me hope for this year and the future.  I'm excited to see what He has for me in the ordinary and not-so-ordinary days to come!

Beginnings:

1. Reading through the Bible in one year - grab a friend (or more) and make time each week to spend reading the Bible together.

2. Learning Wisdom: the book of Proverbs is full of wisdom from God with practical thoughts for living.  Because it has 31 chapters, it's easy to read a chapter each day for a month, and then do it all year!

3. Project 52, crafty things, music...music...music...

4. Take advantage of the things God has put before you today!  Live for Him!



No comments:

Post a Comment