Friday, July 27, 2012

The Gospel is Simple.

There is a story told of an evangelist who was doing tent meetings.  It was the end of the day, and he was at the train station waiting to head home for the night.  The evening was getting late, but as he was about to board the last home-bound train for the night, he heard someone shouting his name.  A man ran up to him, breathless and sweaty.  

"Please, sir, I have been at the meetings each night, but I don't understand what you are saying about Jesus.  Can you please stay and explain this to me?"  

The evangelist was torn, "I'm so sorry, but I am just about to board the train.  You see, this is the last one leaving for the night.  I am heading home because I do not have a place to stay here.  I'm sorry, but I have to go."  

As he started to turn away, the man grabbed his sleeve, "Please, please, I don't understand!  Can't you stay and tell me what it is you are saying?"  

The conductor was calling the last boarding of the train.  The evangelist needed to go home, but here was this man hungry for the gospel.  

"Here, take my Bible," he said, handing him the well-worn leather book, "read Isaiah 53:6.  At the first "all", bow down, humble yourself and enter in.  At the second "all", stand up and go forward because of Christ."  

"But, sir, what do you mean?" the man cautiously questioned.  The look of desperation was painted all over his face, as he reached out to take the gift from the evangelist.  

"Remember, at the first "all" bow down, humble yourself and enter in; at the second "all" stand up and go forward because of Christ!" with that the evangelist rushed off to make the train.  

As the train pulled out of the station, the evangelist saw the man gingerly hold his Bible and begin to weep.   

Some days later, in the same town, the evangelist was once again holding tent meetings.  At the end of one of these revival meetings, he recognized the same man who had met him at the train station was there and wishing to speak with him.  He gladly called him over.  The man had a smile on his face as he handed him back his Bible.  

"Thank you," he said, "before, I didn't understand the gospel, but I was making it too complicated.  You said to read Isaiah 53:6 and at the first "all" to bow down, humble yourself and enter in; at the second "all" stand up and go forward.  Now I know!  The first "all" says that, 'All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned everyone to his own way...'  You see, I am a sinner.  There is no way for me to come to God!  We have turned astray.  So, we are to bow down, humble ourselves and enter into the salvation provided by the perfect sacrifice of Jesus on the cross in payment for my sins.  My salvation is not through my worth, but found only in Jesus.  The second "all" says, '...but the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.'  Christ is the only way for me to stand up and go forward.  I stand in the grace of God that was given for me.  I go forward knowing that I am safely in God's hands, no one can pluck me out of His hand.  I am His!"

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is powerful!  It reaches through time to save people for God's own purpose and glory.  It isn't complicated, but it is rich and full of treasures untold!  

At the first "All" bow down, humble yourself and enter it; 
at the second "All" stand up and go forward because of Christ!  

May we keep being amazed by the power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ!!!  

1 comment:

  1. :) This story caused that verse, Isaiah 53:6, to impact on my heart again. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete