Sunday, November 17, 2013

Really Thankful?

I am so blessed.  We all are, really.  Take a moment to look around you, if even for a minute, and see how many items comprise a portion of your earthly possessions.  Within in arms reach, I have my phone, wallet, coffee recently purchased from Starbucks and computer.  So much stuff to be thankful for if I couldn't think of anything else.  It's funny, actually, to think of being thankful for stuff when I have been given so much more!

I've had writer's block for a couple of weeks and I don't know why (please, don't judge the content of this blog post because of this statement!).  I've wanted to write about all the things that I am thankful for this year.  You know the normal list: family, friends, church family, my job, a warm house and food, etc.  But for some reason, this list wasn't coming out in an organized fashion.  

Why?  I'm thankful for these things...right?  So why not just make a grand ole' list and entitle it "Things Bekah is Thankful For"?  

Here's why.  Whenever I think about making a list of things I'm thankful for, most of the time it starts looking like the one I just composed, including the "normal" everyday things of life and the blessings of family and friends.  Yes, these are all mostly material things (which is not bad!).  But isn't there more?  I didn't want to write of list of "Things Bekah is Thankful For" because the list would be too small and I wouldn't be able to include all the things I should be thankful for.  

We think too small.  When all of these blessings become common-place, we do "thank" God for them, but our thankfulness is more of a "thank-you" in response to something we think we already deserve.  It's like telling the waitress "thank-you" for your food; I mean, she was going to bring it anyway!  

This year, I want to be thankful for the right things.  I want to have a godly perspective which looks at the material things and thanks God for them all.  I want to take each breath and move each step with a heart that is filled with thankfulness.  I want to speak with thankfulness and sing about it.  I'm not just going to write a list about things that I'm thankful for; if I'm truly honest, the list would go on and on. 
 
Praise God from Whom ALL blessings flow! 
Praise Him all creatures here below. 
Praise Him above the heavenly hosts. 
Praise Father, Son and Holy Spirit. 
Amen, may it be so! 











 

No comments:

Post a Comment