Monday, March 30, 2015

P52: Spring Break Nebraska Style

Even though I'm not technically in school, I still got to have a "spring break"--not technically, because I'm a part-time graduate student who works full-time.  Anyway, my brother was planning to go home, and since I was also planning on making a trip back to "The Good Life" state, we combined them and road-tripped together!

The week at home was just as prescribed by my boss: fun and restful.  Well, mostly restful...haha!  If anyone knows my family, then you also know that we had something going on everyday, even if that was just needing to clean the house.  For late March in Nebraska, the weather was beautiful, boasting several 60s and 70s on different occasions.  There was even some green grass peeping it's head through the brown.  It won't last long however, if they get a good snow storm, which would also be perfectly normal for that area of the world.

We traveled down over the weekend, breaking up the trip in half by stopping at relatives along the way.  The drive was very uneventful--even though we took my unpredictable, yet surprisingly reliable car, Gabriella.  I only had to coax her up a few hills!  Driving across Nebraska is lovely; you see a lot more than corn-fields, and hear a lot of interesting things.  The first of much laughter came when I exclaimed to my brother to look at some sheep in a pasture!  I mean, they looked like sheep, at first glance.  He burst out that those white creatures were actually cows.  No, I haven't spent too much time in the city!  They were white cows.  I rarely see white cows.  I was also driving, and just had a moment to look at the animals (Yes, I'm trying to justify my claim; my brother didn't think it worked either!).  Anyway, it was good for a laugh, and a trip joke for the rest of the time!  A road-trip also provides lots of time for listening to music.  Somewhere in the middle of nowhere Nebraska, where all the radio stations a person can listen too are either talk-radio or country, we heard the most unique weather alert.  The DJ was reading the forecast for the next few days and was talking about the chance of rain.  However, instead of talking about a "chance for rain" or "drizzle" or "light rain", he said, "tomorrow will bring some sprinkles..."  Sprinkles??  What color?  This little slip-up made for quite the laugh--I was crying actually--and the story to tell the family when we arrived.

Time at home was wonderful.  We did some work to re-model and organize my dad's office, including moving/dusting/re-organizing all of his books to put on the new bookshelves.  It was a task, but his new library is quite stunning!  I also tried my hand a spray-painting.  No, I didn't add graffiti to a road-sign, instead the once-tan file cabinet is now covered and hidden in black.  I had lots of time to do some reading and writing, more like catching up on much needed "personal reflection/thinking" time, and most importantly extra unhindered time with the Lord through His word and prayer.  On a couple of afternoons, I headed out for a run along the highway that heads north of town.  After about a quarter of a mile, I've completely passed all the buildings and am jogging in the open country--very invigorating!  My little sisters had some basketball games over the weekend, so our family packed up and headed to cheer them on!  Oh, how, I've forgotten (and missed) the excitement of junior high basketball games.  The girls do a great job; no doubt learning all their skills from big-sister!  (Okay, not quite ALL) :)  My new nephew was another diversion from the mundane schedule.  We took a day trip to visit him and his parents; he's such a cutie and great addition to the Parker family!  One of the evenings before I left, my sisters and I decided to go to see the new "Cinderella" movie.  It was great "sister-time".  We talked and laughed and joked and teased all the way there and back (it was a 60 minute drive).  Since there is quite an age gap between us, this was probably the first time we've been able to spend time doing something we all enjoy and can comprehend.  Little sisters are the best.  And brothers are pretty cool too.  Without them, I would have been alone for the road-trip; I wouldn't have a nephew; my sisters and I wouldn't have gone out for ice-cream after the movie; and I wouldn't have had someone to tease about his "learners-permit" driving skills!

And now back to normal life--for two days!

Thank you, Lord, for family and a place to call home.  Thank you for friends and people who know know me, and have loved me since I was very little.  Thank you for small towns and the reminder of Your purpose and plan.


                     
                Grand"mom" and Grandpa with Silas
Look at that sweet face!  


we have matching facial expressions; just enjoying life! 


She's shooting a free throw.

She's playing defense.  


                          
                                          This basically sums up the trip--except that I was driving most of the time...

No comments:

Post a Comment