Tuesday, March 17, 2015

P52: "holy" jealousy and humble pie

You know that feeling of jealousy and envy that comes over Christians when we hear someone's druggie-to-believer testimony or the daily tales of evangelizing or adventures of Bible translation in the jungles?  We hear the stories, then immediately start evaluating our own normal, 8:00 to 5:00 job and ministries at our churches.  Sometimes we start thinking--if only I could do something cool and exciting for God.  We sigh and start dreaming of what life would have been like outside of God's plan.  We justify our feelings of jealousy and envy, claiming they are "holy" because we are wanting something good.

Right?

Wrong!

Okay, maybe I'm the only one.  I'll admit that I struggle with these thoughts at times.  Especially right now, I am privileged to work in a Christian environment with great co-workers.  My job primarily consists of building relationships with other believers and encouraging them to pursue a Biblical education.  It is a very rewarding job and lots of fun at times!  It's a gift from the Lord.

But even these things, I can forget.  And start to complain and wish that I had more exciting stories to tell.

Humble Pie.

I started to pray about making connections with people, and having more opportunities to share the gospel.  The Lord answered; and for me, in a very unexpected way.  In fact, the opportunity came during a busy weekend event that my department was hosting for prospective students.  When one of them asked to talk with me about some questions she had, I assumed it had to do with my job.  It did, but not questions about education, questions about eternity.

She had so many questions.  I was caught off guard, but overjoyed.  I started to pray, asking the Lord for wisdom to know how to share the truth and encourage her battered heart.  We talked for several hours.  God knows her heart and He was working right there.  She is a new sister and new creation in Christ.

As I drove back home that night, I couldn't stop smiling.  God is so good.  He was continuing to show His faithfulness by using me to share the gospel.  Having to think through the wonderful truths of forgiveness, justification, and identity in Christ brought a whole new realization and perspective to what God has and is doing in my own heart.  There's nothing like proclaiming the gospel to others that helps remind your own heart!

My Lesson:

  • The next time you're tempted with "holy" jealousy, don't fall for the trick!  Remember God's faithfulness in your life and how He has brought you to the place you are now.  Pray for opportunities to share the gospel with others, and don't be surprised by the unexpected.  Know the gospel; let it's truth be like an old friend to your heart and lips. 

Jesus paid it all; all to Him I owe, 
Sin had left a crimson stain; He washed it white as snow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment