Friday, December 9, 2011

King David is in a cave.


King David. Mighty Man. Warrior. Man after God's own heart. Strong. Courageous. Noble. Honorable. God-fearing.

This is not the kind of person that you would imagine would be running for his life, and hiding in caves. Yet, this is exactly what David had to do. The simple fact is that his own master was trying to kill him! Even though David had been anointed the king of Israel, he was waiting for the throne to be given to him. During that time, he was called to go and serve before king Saul. For David's obedience, the Lord prospered him in all that he did. He was the Lord's chosen king over the house of Israel.

So why was he in a cave? Saul was trying to kill him.

Now, imagine that cave. What would that be like? How would a person feel about hiding in a place like that? It was probably not very comfortable. It was Dark. Wet. Musty. Cramped. Cold. Hard. Not ideal!

For all of this, we have a record of two psalms that he possible wrote during this time. (Ps. 57 & 142)

What was David saying about being in a cave?

Be merciful to me, O God!

In You my soul takes refuge!

I will take refuge in the shadow of Your wings till the storm of destruction passed by!

I cry out to God Most High.

God will fulfill His purpose for me.

He will save me, and put to shame those who trample me.

God will send out His faithfulness and His steadfast love.

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens, and let Your glory be over all the earth!

My heart is steadfast, O Lord.

I will sing and make melody.

I will give thanks to You!

I cry out to You, and plead for mercy.

I pour out my complaint and trouble before You.

My spirit is fainting, but You know my way!

Though no one cares for me, You are my refuge and portion in the land of the living.

Deliver me from my enemies, so that I may give You thanks.

You will deal bountifully with me!

I think that there are times in all of our lives when we feel like David did. He was lonely, tired, stressed, discouraged, and weak. Yet, for all of that he did not lose his focus on the Lord. God had promised him the throne of Israel, and David knew that God would not fail on any part of His promise to him.

I am not in a cave, but sometimes I fell like I am. Sometimes the circumstances of life rush over me, and I am discouraged, lonely, stressed, and tired. Yet, the God of David is also my God! What does God say?

I will not leave you, nor forsake you.

I love you.

You are My child.

I am in control.

Trust Me.

Rest in Me.



1 comment:

  1. Happy to find your blog, Bekah!! :) Hope all is well with you!!

    ReplyDelete