Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Do all to the Glory of God!

I have been reading through 1 Corinthians in my devotions,
and have been struck again with Paul's desire to glorify God in all that he did.
This is one of the themes that can be seen throughout the book,
and I wanted to put some of the verses together so that
others could see the relationship as well.

Background: Paul is writing to a church of believers in the city of Corinth. This city was often known for some of the sinful activities that regularly happened there. In the midst of a very sinful place, there is a group of Christians whom Paul is seeking to encourage and exhort.
He addressed them on a couple of key things concerning some divisions and sins of immorality that were happening within the Body. In his exhortation, he declares to them the importance of glorifying God in whatever they do. Whether it is a question of Christian liberty or calling, the main thing is that God is glorified through the actions done.


"For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. He is the source of your life in Christ Jesus, whom God made our wisdom and our righteousness and sanctification and redemption. Therefore, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 1:26-31

"For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified." 1 Corinthians 2:2

"For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?" 1 Corinthians 3:11, 16

"This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found trustworthy." 1 Corinthians 4:1-2

"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

"Thus, sinning against your brothers and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble." 1 Corinthians 8:12-13

"For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. And this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you." 1 Corinthians 9:19, 22-23

“All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up. Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor." 1 Corinthians 10:23-24

"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved." 1 Corinthians 10:31-33

What is the calling? Do all to the glory of God!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment