Monday, October 10, 2011

Celebrate Everyday pt. 10



Happy Thanksgiving Day!

No, it's not the 4th Thursday in November, but it is October 10th, and today is Thanksgiving Day in Canada! Even though we are over a month ahead of time in the US, I thought that it would be appropriate the celebrate early. We should take advantage of every excuse to corporately thank God for all His blessings!
There isn't going to be any turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, corn, cranberries, apple pie, or pumpkin pie! But really, these don't make the holiday what it should be!

Let's be thankful!

Often times, we start out a new week with only as much enthusiasm as if we were getting our teeth pulled! We are still dragging from the long "restful" weekend, hoping to get all of the homework done that we didn' t get accomplished on Saturday!

Today is Monday!

Today is Thanksgiving Day!

Let's be thankful!

Early on in King David's life, there wasn't much that we would think of as a reason to thank God. He was shepherd as a young man. Then God chose him to be king of Israel, but he was not able to claim the throne until the previous king died. Instead of reigning in the royal court, he was a servant to King Saul. Because of Saul's jealousy, David became an enemy of the king, and had to spend much of his time running and hiding from Saul and his armies.

Yet in the Psalms, there are countless times when David wrote of his thankfulness to God. Psalm 63 is an example. This psalm was penned by David when he was in the wilderness of Judah. He wrote:

"A Psalm of David When He Was in the Wilderness of Judah. 'O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You In a dry and thirsty land Where there is no water. So I have looked for You in the sanctuary, To see Your power and Your glory. Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, My lips shall praise You. Thus I will bless You while I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name. My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness, And my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips. When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches. Because You have been my help, Therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice. My soul follows close behind You; Your right hand upholds me. But those who seek my life, to destroy it, Shall go into the lower parts of the earth. They shall fall by the sword; They shall be a portion for jackals. But the king shall rejoice in God; Everyone who swears by Him shall glory; But the mouth of those who speak lies shall be stopped.'"

Let's be thankful!


Why? Because of the wonderful things that God has done for us. We may not feel like there is anything to be thankful for, but that is not the truth! God is at work in each of the hearts of His children. He is conforming them into the image of His own Son. (if that isn't enough to be thankful for...)


Take a moment today to reflect on the goodness of God over the past weeks. When we set our hearts and minds to focus on Him, the "cares" of our everyday life will vanish away in the light of His goodness and grace!


Let's be thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment