Sunday, October 2, 2011

Celebrate Everyday pt. 2

In my resolve to make everyday a day to celebrate, today we are thinking about janitors and teachers. It certainly isn't apples and mops for these hardworking individuals. They spend most of their time working for others--whether keeping a facility clean or teaching children.


National Custodial Workers Day
World Teacher's Day


Somewhere within our personal relationships, everyone knows at least one person in these professions. I am fortunate to know one of each in my own immediate family!


My mom is my teacher. She graduated from college with a degree in elementary education, and has been doing just that for at least 20 years, primarily with her own children! A teacher is such a special person. They have the awesome opportunity of molding a young mind with all sorts of educational information. In my mom's case, not only was she responsible for teaching me how to divide numbers and diagram sentences, but she also taught me the other important things of life.

My dad is a janitor. Now, his primary "job" is being a Pastor--and if that is full-time enough, he wears a lot of other hats, including Janitor! To some this is considered a low and dirty job, but over the years, my dad has taught me a lot through our "cleaning times"! When I was at home, I had the "privilege" (and yes, I am saying privilege, though at the time I would've said that cleaning was anything but a privilege!) of getting up early in the morning to go and clean with my dad and brothers. While not realizing it at the time, he was teaching us about responsibility, discipline, and work ethic. Those, along with many others, are just some of the "life lessons" my dad taught us through janitorial duties!

I am so thankful to have such godly parents, and have a way to celebrate them today!


To celebrate: take this time to think of someone that you know that is a teacher or janitor, and let them know how much you appreciate them! These occupations can be overlooked.

1 comment:

  1. Way to be blogging Bekah!! And what a sweet post :)

    Lol the code thingy I have to fill out down there is 'defumies'.

    ReplyDelete