Saturday, February 25, 2012

February 24th: the power of music

For those who know me, you are all aware of the fact that MOST of the time I have some sort of song/melody in my head.  Usually, I can be heard humming, whistling, and singing a song (not at the same time though!) 
I have a fascination with music.  I love to sing.  I love to listen to music.  I love to play the piano and violin.  I love music.  At times, I play the piano to relax.  Or go for a walk and listen to music. 

But music is powerful.  Too often, believers take for granted the amount of power that music can have on a person's mind.  Like anything else, music can either be used to glorify God or glorify ourselves. 
In the Scripture, there are examples of singing.  King David wrote many of the psalms (which are actually songs) in the book of Psalms.  These songs talk about God's character and His grace and mercy that is show to men.  In Acts 2, the early church gathered together to praise God.  Though this doesn't say that they sang, yet they still ascribed honor to the Lord.  Which practice we often do by singing. 

I don't know why it hit me today, but I realized afresh of the encouragement that comes from singing songs of praise and worship to God.  This encouragement doesn't come from a 15 min. "worship team" singing songs, but from an attitude of worship to God and a mouth willing to extol the Lord. 
These are some of the lyrics that I had in my head today. 



O wondrous Love, that will not let me go.  I cling to You with all my strength and soul. 
Yet if my hold should ever fail.  This wondrous Love will never let me go.

You hold my life, You take my joys and sorrows.  And cause them all to bring glory to You. 
Your ways are high, too deep for man to fathom.  But You are good,
and this will be my theme. 

I have a shelter in the storm, when troubles pour upon me.  When fears are rising like a
flood, my soul can rest securely.  O, Jesus, I will hide in You.  The one who
bears my burdens, with faithful hands that never fail,
You'll bring me home to heaven. 

Hallelujah, all I have is Christ.  Hallelujah!  Jesus is my Life!

You held out Your arms, I see them still.  You never left You never will.  Running to embrace me now I know, Your cords of love will always hold. 
Mercies robe, a ring of grace, such favor undeserved. 
You sing over me and celebrate, a rebel now Your child. 

Come weary saints, though tired and weak.  Hide away in the love of Jesus. 
He offers the rest that you yearn to know.  Hide away in the love of Jesus. 

It is not death to die, to leave this weary road.  And join with saints who dwell on high
who have their with God.  It is not death to close, the eyes long dimmed by tears, and
rest in peace before Your throne, delivered from our fears. 
Oh, Jesus, conquering the grave.  Your precious blood has power to save! 
Those who trust in You, will in Your mercy find; that it is not death to die. 

May the peace of God our heavenly Father, and the grace of Christ the risen Son, and the fellowship of God the Spirit keep our hearts and minds within Your love. 
And to Him be praised for His glorious grace, from the depths of earth,
to the heights of heaven, we declare the name of the Lamb once slain,
Christ eternal, the King of Kings!

Music is powerful, because it has the power to speak words that glorify God, and combine melodies that are pleasing and enjoyable to the ear.  God created us with the ability to enjoy beautiful things.  And music can be one of those beautiful things.  Yet, our music should never cause us to focus on things that are not honoring to God.  Our music should be a reflection of the gospel, and an effective way of telling others of the grace of God in our lives. 

This is happy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment