Friday, February 3, 2012

February 3rd: walking/singing in the rain

This morning there was lightening and thunder, and very dark billowy clouds. The dampness stayed in the air all day.

Rain refreshes the ground. It provides some much needed moisture from our very dry winter thus far. Rain is beautiful.

Of course, walking in the rain is a lovely activity, if your socks aren't soaking wet or the wind is driving it into your face, and if your carrying an umbrella.

The umbrella really makes all the difference in the world--though not necessarily on your state of dryness. There is something right and proper and nostalgic about umbrellas.

Maybe it is the old movie "Singing in the Rain", that puts that particular spin on umbrellas/walking in the rain.

Almost everyone knows of that clever scene where the "rain" is pouring on Gene Kelly, but he doesn't seem to mind how wet he is getting because he is in love. And if they have never seen the movie (horror of horrors) they know the song. I mean seriously if I had a dollar for every time some burst out into an original rendition of that song, I would be rich! :)

But why not burst out into song? You'll only get your face a little wet...

My piece of happiness came this morning as I was walking to breakfast. The rain was coming down hard, but the wind wasn't blustery yet. Just God and me and my umbrella and my backpack walking across campus.

It was happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment